Political Bio

My photo
Austin, Texas, United States
Unfortunately being born in the 90’s provides me with very limited political experience, views and ideals; whereas, others may have encountered many more life experiences and influences that have helped shaped their political ideology. Given this, I try my best to be as politically active and knowledgeable as I am capable of being at my age. Being an adolescent during a period of economic recession has surely had an influence on my political ideals. I believe we are too tied up in Democrat vs. Republican and Liberal vs. Conservative, but truly at this point in time it is important for our nation to put aside our differentiating views and find a common ground where we can start the rebuilding of the prosperous nation we were founded to be. As Henry Ford said, “If everyone is moving forward together, then success takes care of itself.” With the completion of this course, I hope to better my political knowledge and advocacy, with the belief that well rounded political awareness and civic engagement are what fuel a functional and successful democracy.

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Critique #1

Sarah Clifton's blog can be found here.

At a time in economic crisis, our nation is struggling with the decision of what budgets to cut, and which to leave alone. I believe education and healthcare are two that should remain well funded, since they are in my opinion, the backbone to our country. Sarah does a good job in pointing out key points to her side of the argument. She points out that cutting funds to Planned Parenthood would be counterproductive for our country. Not only would there be an increased rate of unwanted pregnancies, but there would be consequences for men as well as women; such as lack of STD awareness and testing. With budget cuts, Planned Parenthood would not be able to effectively reach out to women and men of all ages in order to help provide reliable tests, and STD awareness and treatment. Clifton points out good arguments that prove budget cuts such as these would hurt our countries people in the long run. Although I do not think cases will get as extreme as going to unlicensed practitioners, I do agree that people will be left with uncertainty of what to do.

I understand budget cuts need to done, but I do not believe that Planned Parenthood is where Conservatives should be aiming for. Clifton makes a good point, that a conservative’s motive for aiming cuts towards Planned Parenthood is because of the belief in Pro-Life. However, they should realize that Planned Parenthood offers much more than abortion. Hopefully a better solution will be drawn.

No comments:

Post a Comment